I almost lied on several occasions when people ask... "is she sleeping through the night?" It seems that after "What is her name?", "Is she sleeping through the night?" is the next most popular questions from strangers, relatives and friends of a new mother. And truth be told if your baby isn't sleeping through the night, you kind of want to murder the questioner. Because, you think NO she isn't sleeping through the night!! Do I look like someone who has had 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep in the past 4 months!
The myth of sleeping through the night is something that every parent dreams of from the day your precious babe is born. You really start to believe that it will never happen. People always told me, "One day she will just sleep through the night." So every night before bed I would tell Mike- Lucy is going to sleep nine hours tonight! And she didn't. It took us a while to trouble shoot her sleeping better at night. A combination of things really helped. The main culprit was the night time diaper. We are cloth diapering (Bum Genius brand) and Lucy kept waking up wet around 2 or 3am-and rightfully so, when Lucy woke up wet, she was so angry from being cold and wet she also wanted a little snack from Momma.
I bought the Huggies overnight brand which helped but she was still waking up wet around 4 or 5- our girl has some awesome kidneys! Then my friend suggested the hemp inserts that fit into a cloth diaper. I used 2 inserts for Lucy and that was the trick! I didn't feel comfortable having Lucy cry it out before when I wasn't sure if she was dry but now with these magical hemp inserts, I let her cry for two nights (not longer than 10 or so minutes) and she did it!!!! Pure magic.
Now onto the next hurdle!
Ha! I love this - so true about the myth. I'm so glad that the hemp inserts are working for her, and that she's finally staying dry. Has she stopped crying at night too now?
ReplyDelete