



I read an article in Sunset Magazine about the 10 best pizza places in the Bay Area. Due to the fact that my husband has a secret love affair with pizza, I decided to propose a weekly date night to research these proposed best pizza places. After only one pizza place, we are pretty much certain that our true calling is being food critics. Man what a great gig, huh?
First up, Tony's Pizza Napoletana 1570 Stockton Street, San Francisco.
Last Friday night, Mike and I made the trip into SF to go to Tony's Pizza Napoletana in the heart of North Beach. We arrived at 6pm- pretty early for Friday night dining which was great because there was already a 30 minute wait inside- but luckily the outside sidewalk tables were available so we braved the beautiful SF weather- myself directly under a marvelous heat lamp:) The ambiance was unbeatable across the street from Washington Square with the view of St. Peter and Paul Church with lots of people watching. I looked at Mike and said, "This is as close to Italy we are going to get for a long time." We enjoyed our beverages as we watched a bride and groom photo session across the street.
We decided to follow Sunset's recommendation and order the Margherita pizza and the deep-fried meatball calzone. First came the margherita pizza (the chef only makes 73 a night) which was amazing- soft thin crust, perfect amount of sauce, amazingly delicous melt-in-your-mouth mozzarella cheese with fresh basil. Mike and I ate the whole thing. Then came the ridiculous deep fried meatball calzone- wow! First of all, anything fried tastes great, right? This was no exception. The crust was perfectly cooked and the meatball inside was filled with ricotta and mozzarella cheese with a tasty marinara sauce. Superb.
We were coaxed into ordereing the Tiramisu for desert. The Tiramisu was unbelievable-- hands down best ever. The pastry chef Michael Riviello Graziella personally delivered it to our table and came back to check to see if it was okay. Definately a nice personal touch to their hospitality and it was so delicious. yum. You can see the photo of the tirimisu-- there isn't any left in the pic because by the time we remembered to take a pic, it was already gone :)
Oveall Mike and I were impressed. We give it 4 stars. Minus one star for the service-- definately autentic Italian. The server forgot a drink and dilly dallied with our check. The food and ambiance were amazing.
We are going to another pizza place this weekend so we'll keep you updated.
Yum! This made me hungry. Check out the rest...and then we should go to one next time we're up. Delicious!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun idea! I can't wait to hear about more fun pizza places :) Oh, we'll be coming to CA in the summer and I'm really hope we can get together! Miss you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! We have all this access to information and so many of us don't take advantage of it. You guys are so lucky to live so close to a big city and can actually go to the some of the best restaurants.
ReplyDeleteBut, hey, they just opened a pretty good Indian restaurant in Monmouth. Probably won't make Sunset, though.
Hmmm I'm reconsidering your choice for an advanced degree. Maybe you should be a food critic instead...!
ReplyDelete